Saturday, June 5, 2010

Is This Really NOT Metal?

Faux Metal. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this technique but it's always intimidated me. Why? I'm not entirely sure! After all, I've done Cracked Glass which is very similar but more complicated. Well, atleast I think so. Plus that Glassy Glaze Enamel Embossing Powder sure made a mess in my kitchen ;) But after seeing some fab samples, I bit the bullet and decided that it's the PERFECT technique for my masculine-themed technique clubs in May. I found a great, simple Faux Metal Tutorial on Splitcoast that I followed and after I did my first card (because many other followed ;) ) I wondered what had taken me so long!

Although in the tutorial they cut out their shapes, I thought that the Motorcycle single stamp in the Summer Mini would look really really neat in silver embossing powder. Now this stamp has lots of detail, so it took 6 layers of silver embossing powder and a couple of re-do's to get it just right. But I'm somewhat of a perfectionist ;) A couple of tricks I learned along the way:
1) Work quickly when stamping your image in the hot embossing powder - liquefied powder gets cool quickly making it hard to get a crisp image.
2) Push your stamp in HARD and if it's a more detailed larger stamp apply pressure all around.
3) Make sure you have a well inked VersaMark pad. You can buy reinker from my SU! Online Store if yours is getting a bit dry. You want to get a lot of embossing powder on that card!
4) Find an old wood cutting board to put your card stock on while embossing. It gets hot quickly and having melted embossing powder on your fingers is no fun. Trust me :p
5) When adhering your image to its mat, use Dimensionals or Sticky Strip... It will be a bit curved and SNAIL/Glue Sticks just won't do.

Seems like a lot of tips but don't get scared like I did... It really is easy! And totally worth the effect. On this card I also used the Presto Patterns Designer Series Paper which is REALLY cool! It is glossy white and has a few 'invisible' patterns that are 'magically' revealed when colour is added with sponges/brayer or with Smooch Spritz. So you can make it any colour you want! How cool is that?!?!?! In this case I sponged on some Night of Navy and Bordering Blue. To give it a bit of extra shimmer I misted it with the Vanilla Smooch Spritz from the current Mini Catalog. I think any Dad would love this card for Father's Day :) Interested in learning these more complex techniques and you're in the Ottawa area? Contact me at stampingmonica@gmail.com to learn about joining my Technique Clubs starting in August. I still have a few spots available.

We did another project but I'll save that for another day. This Faux Metal technique has me really excited and this post is long enough ;) Stay tuned...

And keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!






Love this project? Click here to shop Stampin' Up! with me now! (Canada only)

How did I make my project?

Stamp Set: Motorcycle (117657)
Card stock: Bordering Blue (102630), Basic Black (102851), Basic Grey (108692), Presto Patterns Specialty Designer Series Paper (117175)
Ink: VersaMark (102283), Bordering Blue (102265), Night of Navy (103181)
Accessories: Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz (118172), Silver Brads (104336), Stampin' Sponges (101160), Silver Stampin' Emboss Powder (109131), Heat Tool (100005), Paper-Piercing Tool (116631), Mat Pack (105826), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430)

No comments: