Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Dancing, Eaten Gingerbread Men

I'll be honest. I wasn't too fond of the Scentsational Season when I first saw it. I got it in wood-mount because it seemed so childlike and my 6-year-old daughter said she'd like to stamp with it (and she has :) ). But then I saw a few cards made with this set that I thought were cute and I've had fun with it. Funny how that happens ;)

I saw a super cute card somewhere, can't remember where now, but it had the gingerbread men in the stamp set tumbling all over the place. Using that card and the Try Stampin' on Tuesday Challenge as my starting point, I came up with this:


I have this cookie cutter that has gingerbread men with body parts cut off - arm, leg, head. So I thought that would be a fun way to make this card a bit unique :) I used the 1-1/4" Scallop Circle Punch to create the bite marks.

Tips & Tricks:
*Have you tried the new Coredinations Card Stock? It has a natural core so when you sand it down the core shows through. I love the look with lacy and intricate embossing folders. Makes it look antiqued!


*Even though you can't smell through the computer, imagine a lovely gingerbread smell coming from my gingerbread men. I embossed them with the Sugar & Spice Embossing Powder. I love how the embossing powder gives them that 'gingerbread-y' look.
*As much as I love my punches, sometimes I like to just stamp on a scrap piece of card stock and 'flag' it. To ensure perfectly centered notches, snip your cardstock right down the middle and then snip diagonally to the middle point. Voila, perfectly formed flag.
*To add a bit more vintage feel, I sponged my greeting with Soft Suede and peeled apart the very Vanilla card stock. I used my Bone Folder to tease the card stock and then simply pulled apart the layers.

I can't wait to send this car away for Christmas. And I can't wait to play around with this stamp set a bit more. :) 'Til next time, keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!






Card Recipe:
Stamps: Scentsational Season, More Merry Messages
Card Stock: Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Be of Good Cheer DSP, Early Espresso Core-dinations
Ink: Soft Suede, Cherry Cobbler
Accessories: Stampin' Sponges, Big Shot, Holiday Collection Framelits, Lacy Brocade Embossing Folder, Sanding Block, Stampin' Dimensionals

8 comments:

Mynn xx said...

This is absolutely darling!!! LOVE the use of the dry embossing that's been distressed and your gingerbread are fabulous! Thanks for joining us at TSOT!!! :)

Nancy Seed said...

Adorable. Love the gingerbread. Thanks for joining us this week at Try Stampin on Tuesday.

Tara Bourgoin said...

SO cute!! I have the same cookie cutters, but would never have thought to do this! Fun card :)

Deb said...

So Cute. Love the little gingerbread men. Thanks for playing along at Try Stampin on Tuesday

Kristen Conant said...

It is unanimous! The Gingerbread men are a hit! "SWEET" little guys! Thanks for playing along with us at Try Stampin On Tuesday!

Monica Hornof said...

Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback everyone! I thought they were cute - glad everyone agrees :)

Glenda Calkins said...

Very cool way to use the sketch! I love those little gingerbread men. Thanks for playing along with the TSOT sketch challenges.

CherylAnn Robinson said...

Very cute! Love this card. Thanks for playing at Try Stampin'.