Monday, May 30, 2011

Oldies but Goodies

June 1st (in 2 days!!!! But I'm not counting :p) Stampin' Up! will announce which stamp sets and accessories, including wheels, Designer Series Papers and embellishments, will be retiring. In most cases, though I may be disappointed that some items and stamps are retiring, I KNOW that Stampin' Up! will provide us with brand new items we'll love just as much and in some cases more :)

A couple of weeks ago, within 36 hours, I found out three women very close to me are pregnant. Of course they need a sweet card to commemorate this special time and I used this week's Mojo Monday Challenge as well as retired only products (except the Crumb Cake CS and Chocolate Chip mat). The sketch this week was TOTALLY out of my box by the way ;) This week's sketch was a 'Round or Square' sketch - I chose 'square' :)


I couldn't think of a better stamp to use than She's All That. It was in the 2008 Occasions Mini and retired never making it to the 'big' cattie, much to my chagrin. The DSP is Parisian Breeze, retired in 2009. I loved it, it was textured, soft and good for both masculine AND feminine cards! So glad I still have some. 

To make the frame, cut four pieces of card stock or DSP, same lengths and widths (I used 4-3/4" x 1-1/4" pieces here). To get my 45 degree angle, I flipped the strips over to the 'bad sides' and measured out 1-1/4" horizontally at the top (since the strips were 1-1/4" wide). I then drew a line from the bottom corner to the 1-1/4" mark. I did this for all sides of 2 pieces (so 4 times). This gives 45 degree angles on the card stock. Put this over top of the straight pieces to avoid the gaps I have. Wish I learned that sooner but I have two more cards to make, right?

For the embellies, I used Chocolate Chip Taffeta ribbon (retired last year) as well as the Baja Breeze Vintage Flower Adornment, retired in the 2011 Occasions Mini. I really hope Chocolate Chip ribbon makes a comeback this year. I like the Early Espresso ribbon, but want Chocolate Chip ribbon too!

So there you have it, a mostly retired items card. What are your fave retired stamp sets/embellishments? I'd love to hear all about our 'goodie oldies'! And, keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!

No comments: