Thursday, October 13, 2011

Origami Diamond Fold Tutorial

If you read my blog on a semi-regular basis, you know that I like to do challenges. Someone recently asked my why I do so many challenges. Well, it pushes me to do things I may not think of, gives me new ideas for projects and keeps me blogging :) The challenges also bring new readers to my blog who hopefully enjoy my work!

This week's Pals Paper Arts Challenge challenged us to create a fall or Hallowe'en card based on the image to the left. Lots of leaves, Crumb Cake color and just a nice fall feel. We're doing a very autumn-feeling project with my Saturday night Stamper's Group this week-end and I thought I'd share this tutorial I made for the ladies. I love love love this special card style and hope the ladies too. I learned it at a Sparkledaisy Team Meeting a few months back.


I do have to preface this tutorial by saying that the original tutorial and idea is by Wendy Bell who made this video. I don't do well with video, I need step-by-step instructions and find they work better in my classes too. So I came up with this step-by-step text- and image-based tutorial. Enjoy!

1. Trim your favorite sheet of Designer Series Paper (DSP) to 11” x 11”. Pick the side you want showing on your card and put that side facedown on your Simply Scored Scoring Board.


2. Bring the bottom right corner of the DSP to the top left corner. Using your bone folder, create a nice, crisp fold across the middle. Make sure that the paper is folded right through the middle.


3. Turn the DSP with its folded edge to the top of board. Place your scoring board markers at 3” and 5.5” and score your DSP. Flip your DSP over and score at 3” and 5.5” again.


4. Turn your DSP 90 degrees so that the fold is straight down the 7.75” line of the scoring board and the tip of the triangle is touching the left edge of the scoring board. Make sure the folded edge is EXACTLY on the 7.75” line straight down (as shown). Score the DSP at 3.5”.


5. Cut out the small triangular notches as shown.


6. Fold inwards along all of the score lines.


7. Push the left and right folded sides 'inwards' to create the 'diamonds'. The diamond on the left-hand side will be the pocket for the top flap.


8. Open the folds of the DSP to reveal the inside. Put adhesive on all edges except what will be the left-hand diamond – as shown in red. Adhering the DSP together keeps its edges nice and clean.


9. Fold the card over on the main score line and put your Origami Diamond Fold Card together. Add embellishments, etc., as desired.


This is what it looks like opened up :

 
I used the Spice Cake DSP for my card as well as Dazzling Details on my leaves to jazz them up a bit. Hope you've enjoyed this tutorial. 'Til next time, keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!




2 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

This paper is beautiful and the card is fabulous! Love the fancy folding!

scare_easy said...

Wow! This is gorgeous.
Also, I love when you post tutorials ;)