Monday, January 30, 2012

Waterfall Card and Tutorial

This past week-end, I had a stamper's group and after seeing a fantastic swap at Leadership (I wish I could give credit but it wasn't a swap I received, I just saw it in passing...) I decided to do a waterfall card. This card has such an impact, looks so complicated but is actually very easy to make! I also designed this card with the Friday Mashup Challenge in mind. They asked us to do a card:
1) using the sketch they provided; or
2) using something new in our stamping stash; or
3) mash it up and do both.

Because I knew I wanted to do a waterfall card, the sketch didn't work for my card. But I did have a Sale-a-Bration stamp set, Elementary Elegance, that I hadn't used yet. I've used the Sweet Shop DSP before, but it's still pretty new in my stash and I love the colors so I used that, too. Finally, the waterfall card I saw at Leadership used the Labels Framelits and it looked so great! They're pretty new in my stash too :)


Look what happens when you pull the ribbon tab:


How awesome is that? The best thing about it is that it's not even that hard to make. See below for a quick and easy tutorial:

Step 1: For a standard 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 (A2) card, cut a piece of card stock that is 8-1/2" long. The width will depend on how wide you want the waterfall to be. Here I used the 2nd smallest Label Framelit and my strip is 2-1/2" wide.

Step 2: For four waterfall elements, score your cardstock (on the bad side of the card stock) in five places at even intervals with your Simply Scored scoring tool. I scored my card stock at 3/4", 1-1/2", 2-1/4", 3" and 3-3/4". You NEED that 5th score line, even if you have only 4 elements.


Step 3: Fold the card stock on all the score lines as shown.


Step 4: Adhere the waterfall elements (on this card, the labels) just below the following score lines: 3-3/4" for the upper most element, 3", 2-1/4" and 1-1/2"  for the last element. DO NOT adhere anything to the last scored area (3/4" score line;.


Step 5: On your card mat, use brads to attach a 4" x 1" strip of card stock or DSP about 1-1/4" from the bottom of the mat. DO NOT adhere this card stock with adhesive; you need your waterfall to pass through here.


Step 6: Put a strip of Sticky Strip at the top of the 1st score line (at 3/4").


Step 7: This is the tricky part. Slide the unscored portion of the waterfall card stock underneath the 4" x 1" strip of card stock or DSP that you attached with brads. Then, attach the Sticky Strip you put on in Step 6 to the top of 4" x 1" strip of card stock/DSP. Be very careful to adhere your waterfall on straight.  


Step 8: Decorate your card as desired.




See how it's *really* not that hard? There's a few steps, but once you've got the hang of it, it only takes about 20 minutes to make! The girls at my stamper's groups were thrilled with this card and I'm so glad! My mom will be getting this card for her birthday on Saturday and I hope she loves it too.

Does this card make you wonder a bit more about Stamper's Groups? If you're in Ottawa, drop me a line and I can tell you a bit more about how you can learn new techniques! 'Til next time, keep letting stamps bring out your creativity.

5 comments:

Kim P said...

This is fantastic! I have never seen a waterfall card like this one. Great job! Thanks for joining us at the Friday Mashup!

Kasey ~ in Oz said...

What a fabulous card! Great waterfall card, I love the way you've done it.

Thanks for sharing this gorgeous card with our challenge.

Cheers,
Kasey ~ in Oz
Friday Mashup DT

Teresa Kline said...

luv this idea....so cute.... thanks for joining us at the Friday MashUp...have a great day!

enjoy *~*

Sherrie Conner said...

Awesome card!! Love this! Thanks for the instructions!

Heidi Baks said...

Very cute! Thanks for sharing with us on the Friday Mashup!!