Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What *is* a Papaya Collage?

I'm not really sure... The new Papaya Collage stamp set has the image of a bird, a gorgeous frame, leaves, a funny party hat but I'm just not sure what the papayas are all about ;) Today I got a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) order and this stamp set was in it. There were actually quite a few stamp sets in my order and at first I couldn't decide which one to use. But these Papayas - they intrigued me.


In my order today, I also got the Sweet Essentials greetings stamp set which has the cutest font and a multitude of great greetings! From Congratulations to Merry Christmas to Hello, Baby!. It's just a great set.

Finally, I got a few new packages of Designer Series Paper. I decided to use the Fan Fair paper. I haven't really seen this one used yet and I'm not really sure why. It's so pretty and has some really great patterns. I also love the colors in it. There are seven main colors in this DSP (don't you love how SU! tells up what colors our DSPs coordinate with???) and on this card I chose to use Island Indigo, Pink Pirouette and Crumb Cake.

For today's card I used this week's Freshly Made Sketch. It was a lovely simple sketch. For the middle strip, I used a 1-inch strip of DSP and layered it with the Victoria Trim Crochet Ribbon. I also sponged the edges of the Island Indigo card stock as well as the Very Vanilla/Pink Pirouette card stock with Soft Suede ink to give it a bit more dimension.

I can't wait to give this card to a special friend! I also can't wait to use all the other stamps and accessories I got today! 'Til next time, keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!




7 comments:

Tara Bourgoin said...

Simply stunning! Love, love, love this card, Monica!!

Jen Mitchell said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering what the papayas are all about! Despite that, you've made a very lovely and elegant card. The colors are beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Ann Schach said...

Very pretty card! I love the Fan Fair paper! And yep...I am clueless about the papayas, too! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Teresa Zuehls said...

Love your pretty blue bird card and how you changed up the sketch. Very lovely! TFS

Unknown said...

i really like the papaya and the colours you have used, it is a really lovely card

Jen Timko said...

I love seeing all your new things!! So pretty. As for the papayas...looks like we are all stumped. Glad to see you this week at FMS!

Monica Hornof said...

Okay ladies, I've figured it out! The papaya refers to the 'papaya bird'. In Suriname, the Black Spotted Barbet is known as the Papaya Bird. In Hawaii, the House Finch is known as the Papaya Bird. I'm not bird expert, but to me they look like the same bird :)

http://www1.nhl.nl/~ribot/english/canig_ng.htm
http://www.bird-friends.com/BirdPage.php?name=House%20Finch