Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy 43rd!

My parents were married the First Day of Spring. I find that incredibly romantic, much more so than Valentine's Day or Christmas weddings. There's something about spring. Sun, warmer weather, flowers blooming, birds chirping, new beginnings. It's also really easy for me to remember that it's their anniversary ;)


To celebrate these 43 years of marriage I made them a card. I went for a simple look today, based on this week's Freshly Made Sketch. Instead of circles, as suggested in the sketch, I pulled out my Framelits and used the hearts. This is definitely a unique sketch and I love how fresh and clean the card turned out. I used the Attic Boutique DSP which is full of fresh, romantic colors and flowers.

I'll be seeing my parents tomorrow and I really hope they like this card. I'm not 100% sure where I got the idea to make a heart frame and run a ribbon through it. But I love how it turned out! 


Tips & Tricks:

*Anyone who has stamped with me knows how much I love my 3D punched shapes. I've used the butterflies a lot, but lately I've been loving the 3D hearts.
*Aren't Adhesive Pearls just so romantic? I think they add a classic touch to the card.
*When making a frame with the Framelits, cut out the larger shape first and only then cut the smaller heart out to make your frame. This will prevent the Framelits from slipping onto each other.
*I contemplated using the Pool Party Seam Binding Ribbon but it seemed a bit too wide for the heart frame. I used the Ruffled Ribbon instead and I think it was just the right size.
*Sometimes less is more. I could have embossed the Whisper White Card Stock, I could have added some more embellishments, but for this card, I wanted to keep it simple and *fresh*.

I'll let you know next time what my parents thought. 'Til then, keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!

4 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Oh so sweet! Love how you used hearts!

Lesley said...

Great use of the sketch Monica! Love that ribbon too. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Jen Mitchell said...

I'm sure your parents will love this! The hearts are perfect to celebrate their special day! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Monica Hornof said...

Thanks ladies - they loved the card!